When Soldiers Rebel: Ethnic Armies and Political Instability in Africa. In press with Cambridge UP (expected August 3, 2018).
Peer Reviewed Articles:
2018. “Measuring the Landscape of Civil War: Evaluating Geographic Coding Decisions with Data from the Mau Mau Rebellion” Journal of Peace Research 55(2): 190-205. (with Rex Douglass). Online First. [online appendix, code, and replication data]
2017. “Military Loyalty and the Failure of Democratization in Africa: How Ethnic Armies Shape the Capacity of Presidents to Defy Term Limits.” Democratization 24(5): 801-818. [Online Appendix].
2016. “The Ethnic Army and the State: Explaining Coup Traps and the Difficulties of Democratization in Africa.” Journal of Conflict Resolution 60(4): 587-616. [Online Appendix, decolonization_data, democratization_data, Rcode available on request].
- Winner of the 2017 African Politics Conference Group (APCG) Best Article Award
2015. “US Security Assistance in Africa: The Case for More.” Parameters 45(2): 13-24.
2015. “Military Maladaptation: Counterinsurgency and the Politics of Failure.” Journal of Strategic Studies 38(6): 777-800. (with Michael Hunzeker)
2014. “The Strategy Project: Teaching Strategic Thinking through Crisis Simulation.” PS: Political Science & Politics 47(2): 513-17. (with Michael Hunzeker)
2014. “Is Vision Enough? Review: Africa Emerges: Consummate Challenges, Abundant Opportunities by Robert I. Rotberg (Cambridge and Malden, MA: Polity Press).” Review of Politics 76(3): 525-527.
2013. “Review: The Soldier and the Changing State: Building Democratic Armies in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Americas by Zoltan Barany (Princeton: Princeton University Press).” Political Science Quarterly 128(3): 572-574.
2017 (November 22). “Without Mugabe, Is Democracy Coming to Zimbabwe? Probably Not.” Monkey Cage. At https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/11/22/without-mugabe-is-democracy-coming-to-zimbabwe-probably-not/?utm_term=.da17e2916625.
2016 (October 9). “To Promote Stability and Democracy in Africa Focus on Its Militaries.” Lawfare. At https://lawfareblog.com/promote-stability-and-democracy-africa-focus-its-militaries.
- “The Role of Ethnicity in African Militaries: Generating New Data on Ethnic Stacking Practices”
- “Learning (and Failing to Learn) from Failure” (with Michael Hunzeker)
- “The Costs of Silence: Collective Punishment and Intelligence Extortion during the Kenya Emergency” (with Rex Douglass)
- “Logics of Brutality: An Analytical Framework for Comparing COIN Tactical Effectiveness Across Contexts”
- “Barriers to Peace: Ethnic War and the Paradox of Rebel-Military Integration”